Friday, October 26, 2018

Manitoba Enters Confederation, or does it?

Manitoba

Entered Confederation: 1870



Before 1870, the Hudson's Bay Company owned a huge area in the western part of what is now Canada. This area contained Rupert's Land and the North-Western Territory. The people of the Red River Colony in the southern part of Rupert's Land were Métis. They wanted their own government for one main reason: To protect their righrts.
  • When the Canadian government bought Rupert's Land and the North-Western Territory, see map from earlier post, people were already living on the land. Some had been on the land for generations and thousands of years. 
  • The Canadian government was interested in changing how the land was used and changing the people who lived on the land



Winnipeg in 1871





Winnipeg in 1871


To protect their rights, the Metis chose a man named Louis  Riel to lead them. He set up a government in the Red River Settlement and from there prevented the Government of Canada from taking control of the new Territories that they had just bought. Riel wanted to make sure that the Métis would be consulted. Riel sent people to Ottawa to make an agreement with the Canadian government. They decided to make Manitoba a province.






"We are rebelling against the Company which wants to sell us, and Canada which wants to buy us. We are not rebelling against the British government."


Below are the people that were counted that lived in what is now Winnipeg and the surrounding area (Red River Settlement) 




sources-https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/confederation/kids/023002-2050-e.html

19 comments:

  1. I think that Riel was one cool cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he is a cool cat too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he's a good cat too

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.I think he means the HBC
    2.I think he just wants the people in the red river colony to be treated with respect because thats were he used to live
    3.I would stay there and fight for everyone living there even though it is punishable by death
    4.If I were Canada I would try to sell and trade so I would have money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1 the hutsin bay company
    2 yes
    3 I wood bild a wall

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.The Hudson's bay company or British gov.
    2.he wants the red river colony to be treated with respect because the HBC is trying to take over?
    3.I would attack because I want my rights to live here
    4.If I were Canada I would be prepared

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1.I the he means the Hudson's Bay company.
    2.I think he wants the people to be treated with respect because everyone should be respected.
    3.What I would do is I would tell the people who are buying our land that we have rights and we should be treated with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And yeah he's a cool cat!🐱

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1hbc
    2 treate with respect everybody has rights
    3move away so I will still have my rights
    4i wondent buy it

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1 I think he means by company the Hudson's bay company
    2 I think he means he wants the red river colony to be treated with respect
    3 I wold take my stuff and leave because I would want to be treated with respect and rights
    4 I would make them feel like I would do good stuff to the land because maybe that would convince them

    ReplyDelete
  11. #1: He was talking about the HBC

    #2:He wants he the people from the red river colony to be traded with respect because he didn't get treated with respect

    #3: I would stay there and fight for my family

    #4: I would trade with people to try to get more money and food

    ReplyDelete
  12. he is a cool cat🐱🐱🐱🐱😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. he was talking about the HBC
    2.he wants the people from the red river colony to be treated with respect because he didn't get treated with respect
    3. I would stay and fight back because I live there and my family is there and they are taking where I live and they are acting like they own it
    4. if I was Canada I would try to trade and make a lot of money

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1 H.B.C
    2 GET THEM RESPECT cuz the h.b.c tried to buy there land they owned the land
    3 I woud help leue real
    4 I don't know?

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. he was talking about the HBC
    2.he wants the people from the red river colony to be treated with respect because he didn't get treated with respect
    3. I would stay and fight back because I live there and my family is there and they are taking where I live and they are acting like they own it
    4. if I was Canada I would try to trade and make a lot of money

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1 H.B.C

    2 louis real wanted rights for the red river colony

    3 I would stay and fight for whats right

    4 if I was Canada I would try to trade for money to build Canada up more

    ReplyDelete
  17. 4 if I was Canada and Manitoba joined I would make sure there were good laws and teachers will be able to teach more languages and treat everyone with respect and let every one vote

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1 he means by Canada
    2 riel wants people in red river colony to be treated with respect because we are rebelling against the company which wants to sell us and Canada which wants to buy us.we are not rebelling against the British company.
    3 I would would stay and fight because my families are there and my food and my money are there.
    4 I would buy the country because I want to have my own country

    ReplyDelete